29 week appointment
I went in with fear in my heart. How much weight have I gained? I feel huge! Wow I hope it isn’t in the double digits for this month. I ran through Dairy Queen and grabbed a corn dog on my way to the office, bypassing the hot fudge sundae out of fear of the potential weight gain. That nearly killed me.
I got to the office and ran over and picked up my Ob Pre-Admit and Registration packet at the hospital first. That made me a little nauseous. It was actually that time that if I didn’t, my doctor would be yelling at me. And being that I am constantly touted as one of his favorite patients (as I am sure every pregnant woman is), I had to have the documents before going up to my appointment.
I nearly questioned the nurse with every stat she took. They couldn’t be right.
I went and sat in the room and waited very few minutes for my doctor to come in. He took one look at my stats and the praise started.
“Who gains only 3 lbs over the holidays? Definitely not a pregnant woman! You didn’t have to be quite so strict, you could have eaten ONE cookie to at least make the rest of us feel better!”
I told him I sure did eat cookies, and chocolate and that frankly with as big as I am feeling I was sure the weight gain was going to be far more. He marveled that I have only gained 11 lbs this far and told me how easily that weight will fall off after the baby comes. Yeah, yeah. “I bet you only gain another 10 lbs,” he tells me, “If every one of my patients had a 20 lb weight gain with their pregnancy I would be one happy man!”
My blood pressure was 98/56 and he commented that I am obviously doing a great job of staying in shape with this baby. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Wish I could fool everyone else so easily!
The baby’s heartrate is 140 bpm which made him a lot more happy than the 150’s from last time. I have been working really hard on my water intake, so it has made a difference. I complained about constant heartburn, no longer just occasional and was told that I have to give up the grapefruit and orange juice completely. Here’s me being a bad patient… I will think about it. I told him about the baby nailing my ribs with massive force and he agreed that the baby seemed high early. I didn’t remember this so early when I was pregnant with Leif.
He felt and said the baby was definitely head down (well duh) and then commented that the baby seemed large. He retrieved his tape measure and measured me at 31 weeks as opposed to 29 week. This is new to me. With Leif I always measured small in the later trimester. For the first time ever, I am measuring large. Dr. M recanted his initial assessment that I would have a small to medium size baby and the forecast is now for a medium to large baby.
“Don’t worry,” he tells me, “they all come out somehow!”
Thanks. Just what I needed to hear. He told me he would rather have a large baby then small anyday though. With small babies they worry about the placenta, which I remember was a concern with Leif and resulted in two additional ultrasounds and a non-stress test with that pregnancy.
I get a week’s reprieve from the every other week appointments thanks to my low risk status and will go back in three weeks.
I left walking on air after such a great appointment. Only a little concerned about measuring two weeks large, though with as huge as I feel it isn’t a huge surprise.
I came back to work after stopping off at Dairy Queen and getting that hot fudge sundae that sounded so good for lunch.
1 Comments:
Congrats on not gaining the baby weight, or not that much of it! After reading your blogs about all the wonderful foods you and your family enjoy, its great you have not gained. And yeah for Dairy Queen hot fudge sundaes!!
Post a Comment
<< Home