And baby #2

Warning, hormones will fly, heads may roll, but I still love you all.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Finally told "everyone"

Ok, so I hadn’t told exactly “everyone” at work that needed to know I am pregnant. I finally got up the guts to tell my manager yesterday. I truly don’t know why it took me so long to tell her I am expecting. I guess I kept thinking maybe I would have a meeting with her about something and tell her in person. Or one of my projects would require me to use a rad source and I would need to declare pregnancy to start monthly dosimeter exchanges and she would have to sign off on it. It isn’t because I thought she would be upset, I don’t fear for my job, she has three kids of her own, she gets it.

I have said it before, I am just not good at going up to people and announcing “guess what, I am pregnant”. Then this is compounded by the fact that I plain just don’t see my manager. Like ever. I work in an offsite area and she works even more offsite. I don’t routinely drive to her building, nor she to mine. She has been in my office exactly once in the nearly two years she has been my manager. She happened to have a meeting in my building and didn’t know where the conference room was and like many people (thanks to my office locale), happened to wander directly to my office for advice.

Today I realized that I am coming upon the 12 week mark when it really is no longer a secret. Then my old manager’s admin came by my office to tell me she heard my good news and congratulations! (Paula is doing her job. I was successful in my delegation.) It dawned on me that as word is getting around; I really need to tell my manager so she doesn’t hear through the grapevine, no matter how removed from the grapevine I perceive her to be. Ok, so it didn’t exactly dawn on me… I knew it, but AB was persistent in reminding me.

I sat down yesterday and e-mailed her telling her I am pregnant, but did not expect my work to be affected up until I go out on leave in mid-March, and also reassuring her that I will at that point, like I did with my first, have delegated all my duties in time for my leave. Ok, so it was easy. She e-mailed back a congratulations. Check another thing off my to do list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home