And baby #2

Warning, hormones will fly, heads may roll, but I still love you all.

Friday, November 17, 2006

November 17: 22 weeks 5 days

Twice this week I have had posts written up and then reconsidered. They were rants. One was particularly harsh. Amazing thing about writing something and letting it sit for a little while. Often the issue really becomes not so much of an issue. This is hard for me. I am the queen of getting ticked and zipping off a defensive little note to someone or being the first to say something harsh (on purpose) to someone on a discussion board. (And my backup behavior is supposed to be the one that sits and stews without doing anything… apparently my red hair negates my supposed social style.) Sometimes I regret it, sometimes I don’t. But still, probably not the nicest thing in the world. It is something I am working on.

So my rants will sit in drafts and I know that at any point I can hit “post” and whammo. Here for the world.

In the world of pregnancy I can officially say I have a craving! Previously there have been things I like, but nothing that I would really crave. I made the phone call to AB’s cell phone last night while he was in class just to talk about the merits of grapefruit. Ruby Red grapefruit to be precise.

I have always loved grapefruit since I can remember. One of my favorite way to have them is to slice in half, you have to cut each section to release it, top with brown sugar and stick under the broiler for a few minutes to “brullee” the top. Yum. Or I can just cut it in half, top it with a little white sugar (or not) and chow. And you must must must get every drop of juice out of it afterwards.

AB stopped on his way home and bought a bag of grapefruit AND a box of Satsumas. Figuring I was having a citrus craving. Nope. Not really citrus, although Odwalla orange juice is seriously the yummiest drink on the face of the earth, just grapefruit right now. That’s ok, AB loves the Satsumas and so does Leif who exclaimed “goody orange!” this morning when I peeled him one in an effort to fend him off my grapefruit.

The past few days I have enjoyed two grapefruits a day. Ok, truth be told, I have limited myself to two grapefruits a day. Delish. So what does the old wives tale say about craving citrus? Girl?

My biggest problem with grapefruit consumption is a certain little two year old who has also decided he “needs” grapefruit. Leif wants bite, then “more bite” and then “drink juice”. He isn’t fooled by my handing him a peeled Satsuma as I run off to the corner with my grapefruit. He knows he can set the Satsuma down and come back to it after partaking of as much grapefruit as the little turkey can weasel out of me.

2 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Blogger Nuclear Mom said...

You are evil to even MENTION peanut butter fudge!!

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jay said...

When I was round about Leif's age I adored my grandfather who ate grapefruit almost every morning. My grandmother prepared white grapefruit in the evening and left the sugar to marinate into my grandfather's over night( unbeknownst to me!)
Although my mother did not live with us I was under her strict rule. I was NOT allowed sugar so, I ate mine like my beloved grandfather, without any sprinkled sugar but also without the overnight marinating. . I still remember the teasing they gave me when I made faces because it was sour and grandad didn't make faces. The sly little consolation was he'd usually popped his marichino cherry center garnish in my mouth when I was done telling me not to let grandma see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home