A surprise
The other night at book club, after discussion and during dessert, the women presented me with a very nice gift card for photographs with a local photographer! I was so taken aback. It was so generous and a complete surprise.
I am not a second shower person. Hell, I am not a big first shower person, though I look forward to attending them and picking out perfect little gifts when invited! My baby shower was nice, 10 or so women, low key, no games, just getting together and visiting. I didn’t know many people in this area and so the last thing I expected was a shower. And truly, I didn’t care if I had one or not. Two of my admins at the time, organized it and invited a number of wives of the men I worked with. I was really uncomfortable with this at the time since I didn’t know most of them! They finally convinced me that anyone that was uncomfortable with this wouldn’t come. I bought it and resolved to just be thankful for their generosity. I did end up fostering good friendships with a few of the women there.
I read the pregnancy discussion boards and it KILLS me how so many women view showers as their God given right. A shower is a gift, expecting others to outfit your nursery or provide essentials for your baby is presumptuous and greedy, IMO.
I know traditions vary across the US and I truly believe that if someone has a problem with a shower, they won’t attend. I have only been invited to one “second shower” that I remember. It was just a year and a half or so ago. At first I was more just surprised she would be having a shower, but I also knew that I would still attend. (Truth be told I was more offended at having to write out my own address on a provided envelope with a stamp for a thank you card at that shower then I ever even thought about being at a “second shower”.) I am not really an etiquette snob, but I think it is there for a reason. So while I am not a fan of second showers myself, I know they are done and that people love them and love buying presents for baby. I might raise my eyebrows a little at the invite, but would soon settle into thoughts of “what am I going to get for this baby!”
The gift card for the photographer from my book club was perfect. It was something I will use, it was well thought out and it was presented with only a small amount of fanfare. Thanks girls!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home