And baby #2

Warning, hormones will fly, heads may roll, but I still love you all.

Monday, July 10, 2006

July 7, 2006, It happened!

It happened! I can’t believe it! I am officially pregnant and due on our anniversary, March 18th! Holy cow!

After it taking over a year to conceive Leif, I expected the same with #2. Although I really hoped it would take less time, but didn’t want to get my hopes up. Two months of trying!

I tested Wednesday night and got an extremely faint positive. I didn’t really believe it and assumed the test was faulty. I bought more tests on Thursday and tested as soon as I got home from work. Sure enough! A good line showed up immediately. Wowzers.

AB is thrilled. I am thrilled. Winny looks at us like we are nutso (I am positive that she knows and is dreading this journey) and Leif just wants cookies or snacks.

Being pregnant with #2 is so different than #1 already (and it has only been two days... just call me whack). I have heard that every pregnancy is different, but how much of that is your state of mind? Already I think that March 18, 2007 is SUCH a long time away. How can I wait that long to meet this baby (that I can’t even feel yet)? I am also wondering how long I can stay in my regular clothes before I need to get the maternity clothes out and see what still fits. The vast majority of my old maternity clothes were spring and summer, and of course now I will be in mat clothes for fall and winter. This time we know and have experience with what is on the other side of this very long 40 (or 41) weeks. We know the end product and man do we love him. I can’t wait!

The questions have started already. Will we find out the gender? I immediately said no to finding out the gender. AB was waffling a little more on this one. We had planned to with Leif, but he was uncooperative. Hard to believe now… I loved not knowing with Leif, but part of me says it would be fun to know. But I like tormenting people too much (my sister) and telling them their best guess!

I asked AB what he thought the gender was and he thinks and says boy. I think girl. but I am ALWAYS wrong. So it is probably our second boy. Funny though when the talk turned to names AB started spewing out girl names! How can he think boy and then the first names he starts talking about be girl’s!! (It’s a girl… I know it.)

I was surprised when AB was actually hesitating about our long standing #1 girl’s name. He actually started throwing out some more traditional girl’s names which is uncommon for him. Usually all the girl’s names he likes are wacky. He finally sold me on two of them (albeit two years ago) and now he is wavering! Boys names… that will be the bane of our existence. I have such a mental block with boy’s names.

The big question now is how to tell the parents. They are all going to be thrilled, no doubt about it. We don’t need to do anything in particular, but it is so lackluster just calling them up and saying “oh guess what?” My thought (which AB seems to be succumbing to) is to buy a t-shirt and fabric paint and write on it “I’m going to be a big brother” and then take pictures of Leif wearing it and e-mail it out. Hokey I suppose, but it will be fun. Of course then we also will get an idea of who doesn’t open their pictures that we send in e-mail… such a good idea? I think AB is leaning towards just calling and saying “guess what?” But we are going to Michael’s tomorrow for the t-shirt supplies anyway!

No signs or symptoms yet. I have a little breast tenderness, a little urky here and there but rare, but probably just my imagination. The thought of morning sickness is freaking me out some. I already have a list of things I could tolerate last time around and will be getting them at the grocery store this weekend. I bought a big bag of fresh bagels over lunch. Oh pure indulgence. I have been trying to limit my carbs due to their high calorie nature. But I have such fond memories of what a treat a bagel with cream cheese and a chocolate soda (no caffeine) was while I was pregnant with Leif. I bypassed our local Starbucks this morning. They will miss me and I hope they don’t go out of business in the time I am on my hiatus. OTOH I have heard that they have some non-caffeinated drinks that I may need to check out. And dinner without a glass of wine was just weird. A big tall glass of water probably did me so much better.

Last night I pulled out my “From Conception to Birth: A Life Unfolds” book off my bookshelf. Gorgeous book if you haven’t seen it. Highly recommended. I started reading and looking at the pictures of what the nub in my uterus looks like right now. A yolk sack starting to form. The fact that the size is doubling everyday and if the baby continued to grow at this rate it would be bigger than the sun at birth. I can apparently birth a bigger baby than Leif was (according to the “wonderful nurse”), but I do have limits. Regardless, as a scientist with a background in math, I have trouble with this concept. I think they are off by a few orders of magnitude.

Oh yay! I am just so excited for this journey we are starting out on!

1 Comments:

At 6:26 AM, Blogger Jay said...

Hey Chickee !
I am so excited for you and your little family !!!!
Take care of you!
I'll be watching. . . Love your psychic cyber friend, Jay

 

Post a Comment

<< Home